openBIM extends the benefits of BIM (Building Information Modeling) by improving the accessibility, usability, management, and sustainability of digital data in the built asset industry.
At its core, openBIM is a collaborative process that is vendor-neutral.
openBIM processes can be defined as sharable project information that supports seamless collaboration for all project participants.
openBIM facilitates interoperability to benefit projects and assets throughout their lifecycle, and it ensures that:
1. Interoperability is key to the digital transformation in the built asset industry.
2. Open and neutral standards should be developed to facilitate interoperability.
3. Reliable data exchanges depend on independent quality benchmarks.
4. Collaboration workflows are enhanced by open and agile data formats.
5. Flexibility of choice of technology creates more value for all stakeholders.
6. Sustainability is safeguarded by long-term interoperable data standards.
Learn more about BIM.